ESG and Impact Investing
There are many ways to approach investing with a social and environmental lens including Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG), Sustainability, Impact Investing, Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) and Philanthropy. At Whittier Trust, our approach is to create tailored solutions that fit your specific goals. Our expertise encompasses the range of impact investing to integrate your views regarding education, the environment and other social considerations while providing a robust investment solution. Whittier Trust, along with our founding family, has a long history of supporting education and other community benefits from the early 1900’s with the first philanthropic foundations created in 1955.
What is important to you?
- We believe each client situation is as unique as their values. We provide a bridge between individual client concerns regarding the environment and society with their investment goals.
- Our investment philosophy focuses on quality, enhanced through analyzing ESG factors, with customized solutions for your unique perspective and situation.
- Our expertise in tailored investment solutions ranges from ESG equities, fixed income, venture, Mission Related Investing (MRI) and Program Related Investments (PRI).
- Quality and ESG factors mitigate risks and taxes by investing in great companies with sustainable businesses that can be held for the long-term, unlocking the power of compounding.
Connecting earnings to impact.
- We leverage our traditional rigorous financial analysis that uncovers opportunities in the public and private markets with the impact of environmental, societal and corporate governance considerations.
- Investigation of the environmental factor includes sourcing of raw materials, manufacturing and recycling. For example, identifying a supply chain that is sustainable and does not deplete natural resources is critical to business continuity.
- Our analysis of social responsibility includes how the company relates to employees and customers. Low employee and client turnover are important factors in building a robust and sustainable business.
- Governance considerations include an evaluation of management integrity and accountability to investors. As a fiduciary, we seek company management teams that adhere to best practices. Other factors include gender equality and community engagement.
Differentiation – We listen and then customize the solution for you.
- The implementation of the investments is where we are truly different. In addition to the investments we recommend, clients often have ideas for investments where we can provide expertise and analysis. We empower clients to align their mission and values with their investments. We customize portfolios to bridge what is important to our clients from an environmental and social standpoint into their portfolio with the appropriate risk and return.